Kevin Standlee (kevin_standlee) wrote,
Kevin Standlee

No, Really

Actually, I spent most of yesterday driving back from Fernley. I got away before noon, and it turns out that I was going to need all of that time.

As I was approaching Sparks, I thought I heard a pop and saw a brief spark from the dashboard of my van, but wasn't sure and thought possibly I imagined it. I normally stop for a few minutes at John Ascuaga's Nugget to tickle my club card — we missed the last $10K draw because of the bad weather, but the next one is the Saturday that I arrive with the moving van. Exiting the freeway, I started to retract the roof antennas, but they wouldn't fold down. Fortunately, I had time to change course and head to the west parking lot, where I investigated. Nothing seemed to work to get the antenna mechanism to work, and it was clear that power was out to all of the radios as well. I unscrewed the two roof antennas because otherwise I wouldn't have been able to park in my garage when I got back to Fremont, then headed inside and tagged up on the Lightning Loot promotion.

Returning to the van, I noticed that the radio had forgotten all of its presets. It still worked as a radio, but the preset stations had gone away. I got back out on the freeway and as I drove through Reno considered what might be the problem. On the far side of Reno, I pulled back off and stopped at Starbucks for a coffee and thought more about the issue. (I also poured more material onto my MP3 player, as I'd exhausted my current stock of old time radio programs on the player.)

I confirmed that while the radio would remember its presets as long as the key was on, as soon as I turned the key off, it would forget everything again. Investigating further, I found that I had no interior dome or reading lights. The headlights still worked. The lights were off inside the van except for the bulb that went on over my head: I'd blown a fuse.

Fortunately, I was still in the Reno area, and there were two auto parts stores just down the road. I looked under the dash and saw the fuse box cover. There was no obvious way to remove it. I carry the owner's manual, though, and read the instructions. Need a screwdriver. Okay, I got the tools out of the back of the van and inserted screwdriver into the designated slot. No luck. I didn't want to push too hard because I was afraid of breaking something. After perhaps 20 minutes of fiddling around, I finally found the combination of forces needed to have the cover pop off.

Fortunately, the fuses are pretty clearly labeled, and it only took a minute or so to figure out which one had blown. While I'm sure I have fuses somewhere in one of the boxes in my van, it was easier to just pull out the 30A blown fuse and go inside and buy a replacement. The smallest unit they sold were two fuses, but no matter. I went back out to the van and duly inserted the replacement fuse in the slot.


The fuse immediately blew, startling me considerably. Hm, that suggests something more serious. Now, I could go ahead and drive back to the Bay Area — the non-working circuit was annoying but not critical to safe operations — but I now decided that the sound I'd heard outside of Sparks must have been related to the original fuse popping. I looked inside the 12V outlet. There I could see what looked like a small screw sitting there loose in the outlet. Holy short circuit, Batman!

Not thinking through the fact that the blown fuse meant the circuit was dead, I gingerly probed the outlet with a piece of plastic, not wanting to burn my finger on what was, after all, designed as a cigarette lighter. Out came a small metal part that must have come loose from inside the outlet and that I think was part of the cigarette-lighting part of the outlet. Other 12V plugs I have (like the phone charger) still work.

Now relieved that the fuses come in 2-packs, I plugged in the second new fuse, which held, and tested the circuits. Everything worked again. I reinstalled the fuse cover and put away the tools with much relief.

After more than an hour delay in Reno futzing with fuses, I finally got out of Reno and into the mountains. Weather was decent, although cold. I ran into some rain on the way down the west side, but no snow. Traffic was a bit heavy, with skiers mixed in with big rigs. At my usual coffee stop in Colfax, congestion was quite high, and I waited about twenty minutes for the queue to subside before getting my own coffee, but that's okay as I was checking mail and messages anyway.

In the end, I didn't get back to Fremont until nearly 9 PM.
Tags: casino, reno, sparks, van

  • Something I'd Pay to Watch

    A new version of Star Cops, particularly with Ed Green as the lead; mind you, Lisa thinks he'd also do well as a perpetually-exasperated,…

  • Food, Glorious Food

    This morning after the big English Breakfast, the sun came out and the wind sort of died down, which gave me a chance to walk for a little while…

  • Thanks for Noticing

    Apologies to james_nicoll for my grumpy aside before I responded with relevant facts on the discussion on his LJ. I decided that the best…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.