The burned-up alternator sits here next to the spiffy new one before I spent a couple of hours working the new one back into place. Not surprisingly, the old one wouldn't turn at all.
Everything seemed to work okay on the trip home, and the charge meter was showing more current than it had been for quite a while. I'm grateful that if this had to fail on the road, it happened where it did and not in the middle of southwestern Oregon on the trip to Worldcon, for example.
Getting home tonight was challenging. There was a bad accident on I-80 between Reno and Fernley, closing the 29-mile direct route between the cities.. Signs warned of the road closure at Truckee. I stopped and checked Nevada DOT's road conditions. It turns out that my first alternative route (NV-445/Pyramid Ln through Spanish Springs, then back south on NV-446 to Wadsworth; 63 miles) was also blocked, so I had to go the even longer way (80 mi) around down I-580 (US-395) to Carson City (hampered by weekend road construction), then east on US-50, then north on US-50A/95A. But I made it.
While we still had some daylight, Lisa and I ran over to O'Reilly and bought a new headlight (and an air filter, which we'll change out when we next take the doghouse cover off to work on the oil filler neck), after which we popped in to Scolari's for groceries. We got home and as twilight was fading, I held screws while Lisa installed the replacement headlight. As I thought, two people could do the job much faster than one, even if one of them (me) just holds tools and parts. Lisa says I make a decent mechanical scrub nurse.