Back when Lisa and I started attending North Lyon County Fire Protection District meetings, we were often the only members of the "public" (i.e. not a board member, staff member, firefighter, or member of one of the auxiliary groups). Nowadays, enough people show up that they've had to start holding the meetings in a bigger room. I'm not sure exactly why that is, though. During the public comment at the end of the meeting, I stood up and said how disappointed I was that nearly 60% of the voters in Fernley didn't think our fire department deserved a small raise, which in my case would have been the cost of a take-out pizza once a year. I still wonder what those people who voted "no" will think if they have a fire or medical emergency and nobody shows up because there are only four people on duty at any given time and they're all tied up when that call comes.