January 2nd, 2017


New Year's Lighting Repairs

The main bedroom in Fernley House has a long-tube florescent fixture that hasn't worked right from the time we got here. It was slow to light tubes, and eventually it actually simply blew out a brand new tube when we put it in the fixture. At one point we had an electrician in to quote a job that would have included fixing the fixture.

Collapse )

Some time ago, we had an electrician in to quote a number of things we wanted done with the house, including fixing the ballasts. Instead of doing that, what he wanted to do was to tear out the entire light fixture and put in another one. That was just one of the reasons Lisa sent him packing. The main reason was that he refused to talk to Lisa (the person who knows how things work and furthermore the woman who was going to pay him several thousand dollars for the work), and directed everything to me because I am The Man and therefore must be Competent. He patronized Lisa to the point of fury, and he consequently got nothing. (Lisa later went on to put in the circuit for the hot water heater herself, as we related some time ago. The major project, which is dropping a new 200A service and replacing the main power box with a new modern one, is beyond our resources at this time. Some of you may remember me writing about us replacing the main 100A circuit breaker with a 125A one, bringing us up to the maximum that our utility feed can handle at the moment.)

Collapse )

This electrical work took us six or eight hours spread over three days, but it did get easier as Lisa got the hang of it, and I think I helped some, doing stuff an electrician's apprentice would have been doing, like handing up tools and holding things in place so The Boss could get the job done faster. Lisa told me that she'd never worked on a florescent fixture before, but it wasn't too difficult in the end. (The fixtures in the garage probably need similar work done on them, and Lisa now feels more confident about doing so.) She certainly feels that the electrician who wanted to rip up the bedroom ceiling to put in a new fixture was full of it when he said it would be cheaper than fixing the ballasts. Not counting the labor, of course, the ballasts and parts cost less than $50, and we didn't need to tear up the bedroom to fix it.

In celebration of having a fully working bedroom ceiling light for the first time since we moved in to Fernley House, we went to dinner at the Black Bear Diner.