Kevin Standlee (kevin_standlee) wrote,
Kevin Standlee
kevin_standlee

Deck Boards Secured

We reached a major milestone in the new patio deck yesterday evening.

Extra Support

After screwing the first of the long deck boards into place, Lisa determined that it was flexing under her weight too much, so she removed it, attached the additional support boards, then drilled another hole in the concrete to secure the supports with the L-bracket and a concrete bolt.

Almost There

Lisa then proceeded to attach the deck boards to the support beams. My job was to stand on the boards to hold them in place (particularly the boards with some warp in them) while she drilled the wood screws through the boards into the beams. Here's what it looked like just before installing the "keystone" board, which ended up needing a little bit more work with the wood rasp before it would fit into the final space.

Faucet Access

We had to leave this gap for the water faucet that is semi-permanently coupled to a line to the swamp cooler upstairs. We've only used that cooler one summer since we moved here, but we want to preserve the ability to use the evaporative cooler when needed.

Deck Secure

Here's the completed wooden decking. It was not until I looked at this photo that I realized that it looks a little like a US flag, although either the proportions are wrong or the flag should continue through the wall. We are debating whether to paint the concrete or to cover it with the same outdoor carpeting you see in the foreground. We need to remove the worn-out carpeting on the vertical board and either re-apply new carpeting or sand off the old board and paint it when Lisa paints the entire deck.

Deck Secure

Here's what it looks like standing on the concrete section looking back toward the main patio area. Another thing Lisa is considering is replacing the wooden steps.

We're not done yet with this project, although this should be the end of the major wood work. Lisa wants to apply wood putty to the gaps in the deck to reduce water incursion, then sand it all down, then paint it with the same paint we have used for the front porch. Despite the outward appearance, this wood is not redwood, but pressure-treated pine, and we'd be happier having several coats of paint on it.

Lisa has not run out of ideas for the back porch area. One of the things about Fernley House is that there's always another project we can do to improve it.
Tags: deck, house, patio
Subscribe

  • End of the Road for Memphis

    Last night, the Memphis in 2023 Worldcon bid issued an announcement that they were folding the bid to host Worldcon 81. I was an early supporter…

  • Worldcon is Bigger Than Anyone

    I seem to recall a discussion long ago, possibly online, possible at SMOFCon, or maybe at another convention, where someone (maybe me) made a point…

  • Cabin Fever

    Lisa and I plan to make a weekend trip to Tonopah next weekend (about which we'll write more later), and it's high time for us to get out and travel…

  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 0 comments