Kevin Standlee (kevin_standlee) wrote,
Kevin Standlee

Home Again, Hooray

Lisa took me to Davis instead of Sacramento so that after dropping me off, she could go visit her niece -- if she can find where she lives, as she's forgotten her niece's telephone number and has only been to her apartment once.

My train was on time, and may well have been the exact same set of equipment to which I rode to Sacramento two days ago. (I would have had to keep track of the car number, which I had not done, to be sure.) I noticed that if I stood up and looked forward, through the window of the (locked) door at the head end, I could look out over the top of the locomotive and see the signals and such. That's the good part. The bad part is that the top of the locomotive is of course where the diesel fumes come out. Heading toward Sacramento, those fumes are blown behind us, but toward Oakland and San Jose, they blow straight back over the train, so the air in Car 1 included diesel fuel.

Should I happen to be on another Fremont-Sacramento trip with one of the refurbished Superliner coaches in the consist, I know where I'll head -- downstairs in that car. The bad part is having to tote luggage up and down stairs twice boarding and exiting on account of the manual doors don't open on that car. The good part is due to the out-of-the-way nature of the area, even if the train is "full," you may will have an entire compartment to yourself. The delay up and down the stairs isn't worth it on shorter trips, but is on the long ones.

I went to the cafe car as our train left Suisun-Fairfield station. The line stretched back to the next car, and moved slowly. I read a train magazine. When I finally got to the head of the line, we were at Richmond, 45 minutes later. Fortunately, I still had enough time to eat my lunch without having to bolt my food. By the time we reached Coliseum, I was finished with lunch and had packed away those things I'd got out for the trip. At Hayward, I called Cheryl to warn her that I would be back soon, and she walked down to the station to meet the train.

I did not get much sleep last night -- Lisa was restless and that kept me awake, too -- so I may go lie down soon unless something arrived in the e-mail in the last few hours that requires immediate attention.
Tags: lisa, trains, travel

  • Take Cover

    We'd intended to get some things done outdoors today, but while the weather was mostly clear to partly cloudy, bitterly cold west winds put paid to…

  • Logging Time

    I was able to get away from Day Jobbe a little earlier than usual today, so after lunch I joined Lisa as we unloaded the pallet (390 logs) of…

  • Burrito Weather

    By now, most of you will probably have seen this picture that demonstrates the weather in North America about now. Temperatures are in °F.…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.