Kevin Standlee (kevin_standlee) wrote,
Kevin Standlee
kevin_standlee

You Can Get the Wood

As I have 30 minutes or so before my flight to Oakland boards, I have time to write up how yesterday went. As I said in my last post, there are additional photos in my Flickr set.

First priority was to drive up to Mill City to a lumber yard to buy boards for Lisa's father's utility trailer. The metal frame of this trailer is sound, but the boards had rotted out. Lisa and I measured the trailer. The main boards are 2 x 10s, and when we talked to the guy at the lumber yard, we determined that we needed 16 of ten-foot lengths. What we actually needed were thirteen 100-inch-long boards and six shorter boards, but based on what lengths were available, sixteen 10-footers would fill the bill.

Initially Lisa wanted to get pressure-treated lumber, but not only did they not have enough boards, but the price difference between ordinary and pressure-treated wood paid for the cost of container of wood preservative and a whole lot more. Just because her father was paying for it didn't mean she wanted to spend money like it was water. It does mean that the boards must be dried further and then painted with preservative before they can be installed, however.


If the utility trailer were in service, it would have been the vehicle of choice for transporting lumber, but in its absence, we had to fit the boards into the Vanagon. That meant two stacks of eight down the middle of the van, straddling the tops of the middle and rear seats, with the front passenger seat folded forward to make room. (We took this picture later in Mehama, after having unloaded some of the boards.)


Kuma Bear looks "board."


With the front seat folded down, the only place for me was wedged into the rear seat like this. Lucky for me there was any room at all!


Lisa's father took these two photos of Lisa and me unloading the lumber and stacking it into the utility trailer. After unloading most of the boards, we realized that things would work better with a couple of 12-inch boards in place of two of the 10-inch ones, so after unloading 14 boards, we drove back to Mill City and asked if they could exchange them for a couple wider ones. They didn't have any 2 x 12s in ten-foot lengths, but they did have 20 footers which they'd cut in half, and they were willing to do the swap, so we changed things around and paid an additional $3 for the wider wood.

On the way back to Mehama, we stopped and took a photo of the evacuation route sign I posted earlier.


Here's what the wood looks like unloaded into the trailer frame. Here it will sit for a while, although Lisa will restack it later to make it dry faster. The boards are very heavy and clearly need drying before they can be cut to size and sealed. Besides, we had more work to do today in other areas.

My flight will be boarding soon, so the rest of the weekend story will have to wait until I'm back in California.
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 2 comments