Prices are for two people and include no discounts. We would have been eligible for the 10% NARP discount or the 10% AAA discount, but those only apply to the rail fare, not the room charges, and most of the cost is in the rooms. Prices shown are the total rail + room cost.
- SLM-EMY, Roomette: $326 (We paid cash for this leg, not points)
- EMY-CHI, Bedroom: $1,667 (30K points)
- CHI-SDY, Roomette: $434 (20K points)
- SDY-MTL, 2 coach seats: $90 (paid cash, not points; it would have been 11K points, which is uneconomical)
- MTL-SDY-LAX, 2 coach seats, then bedroom on the overnight legs: $1,425 (50K points)
- LAX-SLM, Bedroom: $716 (20K points)
Total: $4,658 before any discounts, which would probably not exceed $200.
What we paid: Just under $400 (remember, we got the NARP discount) and 120,000 AGR points.