Kevin Standlee (kevin_standlee) wrote,
Kevin Standlee

  • Location:
  • Mood:
  • Music:

Good Day to be Traveling

I was up at 3:30 on Saturday morning to check mail and make sure nothing else odd had happened overnight on work projects. There was nothing to panic about, so I packed, showered, checked out, and left. I stopped at Waffle House for a big breakfast, knowing I'd get no food on the flight, then refueled the rental car and headed for DFW.

It's a good thing that I gave myself plenty of time to get to the airport. This is only the second time I've ever driven there, and this is from the opposite direction to boot. I missed the turn for TX-360 and had to make a U-turn to get back to the freeway. Then I mistook the highway 180 exit for the highway 183 exit and got off on old US-180. After a mile or so so, I realized that this four-lane surface road paralleling the railroad tracks wasn't a freeway leading to DFW, and made another U-turn and made it back to TX-360. This time I managed to find the airport, return my rental car, and catch a shuttle to the terminal.

Check-in went smoothly, and thanks to all of the padding I tend to put in my schedule, I had almost a full two hours before my flight's scheduled departure. So, since it wasn't there the last time I had time on my hands at DFW, I rode the Skylink people mover around its entire circuit of the airport. (The last time I was here, the old AirTrAAin system was still in use, and I rode it around the airport as well, having heard that its days were numbered.

Just like my flight to DFW, we had another maintenance hold for the flight to PDX, but this one was not as long, and we started boarding only shortly after the originally scheduled departure time. I was delighted to find that the middle seat next to me didn't fill, so I could relax and not spend the entire flight hunched -- I'm wider across the shoulders by several inches than a standard coach seat is.

I'd considered getting some work done on the flight, because (a) I had the room and (b) I had the required 12V power adapter for use on AA flights; however, I'd failed to account for (c) forgetting to move required files from my remote machine in San Mateo to my laptop and (d) being utterly exhausted by a week of insufficient sleep capped by about only 3 1/2 hours sleep the night before. So instead of digging out the computer, I got out the noise-canceling Bose headset and my MP3 player loaded with old radio episodes and tried to relax. Although I'd forgotten my nice neck pillow, I fell asleep shortly after the beverage service went through, and I think I slept for between 90 minutes and two hours, which for me is quite remarkable on an airplane.

We arrived at PDX less than thirty minutes late, and I had no difficult claiming my luggage and catching a MAX train out of the airport to Parkrose/Sumner, where Lisa was waiting for me with my van. Although tired, I was also hungry, so we went to the Hawthorne Fish House where we've eaten before and whose Cajun catfish I like. Then we headed homeward, with stops at Whole Foods to get some good cheese and at Winco for heavier-duty groceries, before arriving back at Mehama around 5 or so.

After unpacking and a light supper of cheese and crackers and salami, I fell into bed before 7 PM. Getting to sleep was not a problem, not one bit, and not having to set an alarm for Sunday made it that much easier.
Tags: sleep, travel

  • Where I Slept 2020

    Unlike last year's list, of course, this list will be very short. It's more than one because last January, Lisa and I did a trip to Utah, which…

  • The Thumper

    For the past week or so, the "little BNSF" local job that serves industries in the Fernley area has been tying up at night in our small two-track…

  • Railway Gift

    I mentioned a few days ago some railway-related books that I received. I finally had time to lay them out and take a photo of them. One of…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.