Kevin Standlee (kevin_standlee) wrote,
Kevin Standlee

Quick Trip to Sutter

I have a lot of stuff that I've been wanting to put into my storage locker, and there was no reason to put it off any longer, so this morning I headed north on the 3 1/2 hour drive to Yuba City. Today was pretty close to the perfect weather for doing the locker work. Not raining, not cold, but overcast and thus not hot either, with a slight breeze. The breeze is important because every time I get into the locker, the first thing I need to do is take the broom that I keep handy at the front of the locker and beat down cobwebs, spiders -- including the occasional black widow, I'm afraid -- and dust. The breeze helps clear the junk away.

This time, I decided that there are some things in that locker that I should have tossed out long ago, and now I had to do so in order to make room for the boxes going in. So in fact the van came back just as full as when I left the apartment, but most of it is to be recycled, donated to charity if they'll take the old beat-up office chair, or simply trashed if necessary. There are no dumpsters at the storage place -- you have to haul away your own trash.

Then I went out to my grandfather's house in Sutter, where I surprised my grandfather and my mother -- Mom has taken to spending several days each week at my grandfather's house -- since I hadn't told them I was coming. (I wasn't sure I was going to make the trip until this morning.) We ended us spending several hours cheerfully chatting away, as we do when we get together, before I realized that it was getting close to 7 PM and I needed to get on the road, since I wasn't spending the night in Yuba City the way I often do on these trips.

I stopped for dinner on the way home, but I ate too much and of the wrong things, and couldn't take time to exercise, which led to much-too-high blood sugar readings of 202 an hour later and even more worrisome, 203 an hour after that. (It had at least come down to a normal 103 an additional 90 minutes later, when I got back to Fremont.)

That's almost exactly 300 miles of driving -- about 7 hours on the road -- plus the 90 minutes at the locker wrestling with dusty furniture and wrangling boxes. (I need to remember to bring some gloves for the next time I do that.) I think I'm tired.
Tags: diabetes, family

  • Roof Fixes

    With the roof now dried out from the storms earlier in the week, Lisa went up on the roof to inspect the three plumbing vents and to make repairs as…

  • Travel Planning

    I still don't know if I'll actually be able to go to Chengdu Worldcon 2023 (where I've been asked to be deputy Chair of the WSFS Business Meeting),…

  • Water Where It Should Not Be

    During the recent rain, I started hearing sounds suspiciously like dripping water coming from the ceiling of the front bathroom in Fernley House.…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 1 comment