Kevin Standlee (kevin_standlee) wrote,
Kevin Standlee
kevin_standlee

Roofing Setbacks

On Wednesday evening, Lisa made yet another trip to That Darn Roof, hoping to lay down one more long section of roofing fabric, tack it into place, and then set some lath under it to serve as a more permanent anchor.


Here is Lisa perched on the peak of the roof holding the roll of roof fabric. She went out and let it roll. Unfortunately, it stopped a meter short of the edge of the roof. Too little fabric!

Lisa decided to go ahead and tack it down anyway and fill in the extra later, swung over to the other side of the fabric, and started trying to smooth it into place and attach a few staples to hold it temporarily in place. Unfortunately, as she was doing that, a breeze came up. Most of the time a light breeze is good because it's so hot up there, but this was just about the worst possible time for it to happen. The loose fabric flapped in the breeze as Lisa scrambled to try and hold it down.

Things went from bad to worse when the bracket on the base of the staple gun popped out and went tumbling off the roof onto the moss-covered porch roof far below. At this point it was sufficiently late in the evening that she wasn't sure she would be able to go back up top if she came down, and she couldn't leave it in its current half-tacked state. Cursing vigorously, she tore out the temporary staples, gathered up the roll of cloth, tossed it on the roof, and came down the ladder as fast as she could manage.

After decompressing for a bit, we got another small ladder and Lisa climbed onto the low porch roof. Fortunately, she was able to find the staple gun's bracket without much trouble. Replacing that would have been messy.

Lisa rested for a while and then decided that, since the breeze had subsided and there was at least another hour of light left, she could go ahead and take another shot at placing this fabric. She cut another small section, about a meter in length, that she would place at the peak of the roof and overlap with the too-short piece she'd tried to place on the first trip up that evening.


After setting the small section, she unrolled the long one. Here's a picture of her hanging from the safety harness and smoothing out the roll and applying staples. Incidentally, either one of the two safety lines running from the harness could hold her entire weight, and the rope itself is heavy-duty marine-grade rope good for much more than her weight or even mine. There is a fairly large safety factor here.


After getting it completely rolled out, she found that the fabric section is now way too long, but I reminded her that too long is better than too short. She can always go back and cut off the excess, but filling in short sections takes as much time as the original section did to place.

Due to the mishaps with tools, we did not accomplish as much on Wednesday as we had hoped to do. But we gone something done, so I guess we shouldn't be too hard on ourselves.
Tags: lisa, mehama, roof
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 0 comments