Kevin Standlee (kevin_standlee) wrote,
Kevin Standlee

Importance of Safety Lines

Late Saturday afternoon, with heavy clouds cutting the heat, Lisa kitted up and went up the ladder with the plan to pour two more gallons of Gray Goo, expecting to get the newly-fabric-covered section completely covered.

While pouring the first gallon, it started to rain just a little bit. This isn't good. The Roof Goop is water-soluble until it dries completely. Fortunately, the rain was very light and lasted only a few minutes. Unfortunately, it made the roof that much more slippery, and that would prove to be important later.

Lisa poured the goop out and laboriously spread it over the remaining sections that she'd covered a few days ago, and also tried to get a second coat over areas she'd done yesterday. The first gallon went okay, as did most of the second. The second should have been easier because she could stand on the ladder for some of the time she was spreading it; however, trouble was ahead.

Near the end of the second gallon of goop, with only a small area left to cover, Lisa was working just to the right of the roof ladder pushing goop into uncovered sections when her feet slipped out from under her on the slightly-damp roof. She didn't fall very far — less than half a meter, I think, before the safety lines caught — but her left arm hit some of the wet goop, and she also scraped along the rough surface of the roof and tore a nasty scratch down her arm on the stub of a loose nail. Also, the goop roller fell out into the wet goop, getting goop all over the handle.

After catching her breath and letting her heart rate come back to something approaching normal, Lisa retrieved the roller and tossed it off the roof, painstakingly stripped off her gloves (they followed the roller), pulled herself back to her feet, and carefully climbed back down the ladders. Before coming down, she poured the last of the goop from the second gallon onto an uncovered section. She'd left the lid for the can in her "office" at the peak of the roof and did not have the energy to climb back up and get it, so she decided that pouring out what was left was better than letting it solidify in the can.

I helped Lisa out of her safety harness and we headed over to the utility room at her father's house, where she liberally applied soap and water to the goop, dirt, and blood on her arm. Fortunately, the cuts turned out to be not too deep or wide, and thus a trip to the emergency room for stitches was not necessary.

Maybe 30 minutes later, Lisa had recovered sufficiently that she decided to make one more shot at getting that last piece of the new section covered. She managed to get the goopy, dirt-covered pad off the roller and I took it over to the utility room and cleaned it off as best as I could. She put on some of the disposable latex gloves we bought last week, and with the light fading (it was 8:45 PM), she took a third can of goop up top and applied some of it to the remaining section. Using the last roller pad (more are on order from the hardware store; we've used up most of their supplies), she carefully (and mostly from the ladder, where the footing is better) covered the lower-left portion of the new section. She also put as much goop as she could onto that hole that she'd patched a few days ago. Then she came back down, de-kitted, and I took the roller and washed it again so we could re-use it. I also washed her work gloves, which were all goopy from the earlier tumble, and hung them out to dry.

Here's how it looked the next morning. Sections that might look a little patchy are where there is only one coat of gray goop, not two. Lisa says it needs to cure for at least one and maybe two days before she can put the white over-coat down, so while I was washing the roller, she untied the safety line from the John Deere mower and put the mower away in its shed.

Today it's very overcast and threatening-looking, but the weather forecast shows little chance of rain. A pity, really. For us, it would be a great day for there to be bright sun and light breezes to cure that roof surface.

Lisa is trying to figure out what to do next. There is still a gap of uncovered roof. You can see it between the ladder and the newly-gooped sections. To apply the roof fabric and then the goop means moving the ladders. But the newly-gooped section still needs an overcoat. Either we move the ladders and do the fabric and gray goop on the "gap," then the white goop there, then move the ladders back and finish the just-gray-gooped section, or else we white-goop the section she just did, wait a day, and go to work on the "gap." The problem is time, or lack of it. I leave next Saturday, and that doesn't leave many more days, since it's not possible to get a lot done on any particular day.
Tags: lisa, mehama, roof

  • Long Delayed Laundry

    About three weeks ago, the timer on the washing machine broke. We were able to order a new one, but unfortunately, in the process of removing the old…

  • Summer Switchover

    This past weekend, we acknowledged the move into Summer (without much Spring) by dragging the swamp cooler outside (it's on wheels), removing the…

  • Batten Down the Hatches

    This morning dawned sunny in Fernley, but to the west a storm approached. This looked more menacing than I think it does in the photo. It has…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.